Inspiration through council

I had a conversation with my mother about my time serving as bishop in my ward, and my father wrote up a post about one point from our conversation on his blog Arise from the Dust

One of the responsibilities of a bishop or branch president is to seek inspiration for callings, invitations to ward members to serve in one of a number of vital roles. The bishop has a bishopric (two counselors, executive secretary, and ward clerk) with whom he can consult, and the ultimate responsibility for seeking inspiration falls on the shoulders of the bishop. I found it helpful in many cases to open up the scope of the council process to include the presidents of the primary (children’s organization), young women, and Relief Society (women's organization). Getting those three inspired leaders together in a room was extremely productive and brought new ideas, perspectives, and solutions I wouldn’t have thought of on my own. As President Nelson said, “good inspiration is based upon good information.” I have gained a strong testimony of the principle of revelation through councils, a principle the Church has increasingly emphasized in recent years. 

Serving as bishop for five years was an incredible experience. My relationship with the Savior was strengthened, my testimony of the Church has grown, and it was equal parts fascinating and heartbreaking to be in a leadership position during the strange times of COVID. While I’m highlighting here something that worked well for me, you can be assured there was plenty of the cringeworthy in my loving but awkward attempts at leadership that will not be recited here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leo Strauss's infamous "esoteric" reading of John Locke

The response to my concerns about the "How to talk to a Mormon" video

"The" Question for LDS Theists about Evil